“1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
What is the goal for people who are stuck in sin?
How are we supposed to go about seeking to restore others?
What can happen to us when we seek to help people struggling in sin if we are not careful?
How do we fulfill the law of Christ?
Reflect on your life, has there ever been a time when you’ve been caught (stuck) in a sin?
- How did people close to you respond? Was their response positive or negative?
Gentleness is expressed by helping people work through & overcome the sin they struggle with.
Our key to accessing gentleness is the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit gives us wisdom & understanding that we cannot comprehend in our humanity.
A key component of helping others is to guard our own heart.
- “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” – Proverbs 4:23
- Write down two guards you need to put in place to protect your heart, especially as you seek to walk through overcoming sin with others.
When we gently help others walk through sin & overcoming temptation, we bring into play the principle from verse 2, carrying each other’s burdens.
- Prayer & encouragement are key components of bearing burdens.
- Write down 2 ways you can bear someone’s burdens, as well as gently correct their sin.